Saturday 26 November 2011

Welding

Next task is to fabricate the rear access door and my fold out 'annex'. Since there is so little room inside the camper I decided it needed an easily erected, covered area at the rear for cooking, toilet, shower and the like.

I had done a little arc welding many years ago and now find the most common type of home welder is a MIG (metal inert gas) welder. Luckily these have reduced in cost and a suitable unit for a home workshop is not a big investment.

Thankfully people are generous enough to produce welding tutorial videos and put them on You Tube. I found this video particularly useful.

I used 25mm x 25mm hollow square 3.2mm mild steel for the frames and bracing. I did quite a few practice welds before beginning on the real stuff. MIG welding is a lot easier than ARC welding, especially on thinner materials, but it still takes practice. I am hooked on welding now.


My welding 'practice'

No comments:

Post a Comment