Tuesday 23 April 2013

Ngai's View - Far North April 2013

After 22 years of living in New Zealand I finally got to take my lovely Clint around the top of the North Island. We have had a horrible drought in New Zealand and even now here in Central Hawke's Bay after significant rain elsewhere we are still very dry so I was a little worried how everything would be up north but they had some rain before we left and were starting to green up.

We met Clint's Aussie parents in Parakai after they had flown from Brisbane, picked up a motor home and managed to negotiate the North Western motorway in Auckland. It drizzled that night but that was the end of the rain for the whole of our part of the trip.
I am very fond of Parakai and have stayed there a few times now. Love the hot springs, love the atmosphere of the Kaipara harbour. It would be great to spent a few weeks on the water exploring its nooks and crannies. Perhaps some other time.

We headed on up to the Kauri Museum at Matakohe which I had previously visited with my Mum a few years back and had been very impressed with. Certainly a must see for anyone heading up the Kauri Coast.

Standing in the carpark waiting for the rellies a head popped up from around a caravan and said "Ngai?". It was my other Mum Jan's friend Jean from down Nelson way. Small world and we were to cross paths with Jean again on our journey.
A night spent at Trounson Kauri Park was highlighted or lowlighted (clever double meaning there) by a lovely night walk through the park to try and spot kiwis. After a long dark wait we were rewarded by the sighting of.....friggin possums!!
Next day we headed north to Waipoua Forest and paid homage to Tane Mahuta.
No song was being sung to him which was a pity as I believe this is the only way to come into the presence of  Tane Mahuta.
I am at my most New Zealandish (new word :-)) in our native bush. It is here that I feel most in touch with   the most important things in my life - the land I stand upon and my family and never more so than at the foot of Forest Giants like Te Matua Ngahere and Tane Mahuta. A highlight of any trip in New Zealand


Onward we went to the Hokianga, another favourite stretch of salt water of mine.


The Admach as usual cops a lot of attention and Clint is quite happy to talk to anyone about it. I don't mind either but am adverse to people thinking they can just pop their heads in the back any old time!! Getting dressed here people!!

We went all the way up to the top that night. Cape Reinga finally.



Stayed two lovely nights at Tapotupotu campsite just by the cape. A marvellous spot and I recommend it for all visitors.



Heading away from the west coast toward the east means a shift in sand and finally sand that my Aussies can't say is inferior to Queensland sand. Clint was most impressed and Alan and I swam at Maitai Bay which was amazing.


Another fantastic DOC campsite. I just cannot recommend them highly enough. Great value and in wonderful places. Often with enthusiastic rangers looking after them as was the case at Tapotupotu.
Definitely heading south now. Mangonui is a lovely little spot. A young man was catching fish off the path by Clint.

Tauranga Bay was also a great stop. Nice old fashioned NZ holiday spot.

Time for some necessary NZ history for our Aussie counterparts so stops in Kerikeri and Waitangi. Alan was very impressed with the Waka.



Heading south to another of my favourite places Russell. Love its laid back party atmosphere. I think my Molly would love to stay there.

Uretiti Beach on Bream Bay was the next DOC site and Alan, Clint and I had a lovely walk on the endless sand.

And that was Northland done. A bit quick but as we we needing to get back south, necessary. A quick dash through Auckland saw us get to Miranda Hot Springs for a dash around Coromandel before the weather deteriorated and finally I got my next bush campsite and probably my favourite of the whole trip.
Wentworth Valley just south of Whangamata is an absolute gem. I even ventured into the river but bloody hell it was cold. Bird song was everywhere and at night the Ruru were really active. Could have stayed there longer but probably good we didn't as that was the end of the lovely weather and we probably would have been stuck on the wrong side (or right in my case) of the ford.



 And then Clint and I made a dash for home leaving Alan and Shirley to head around the Bay of  Plenty and East Cape in the rain.
And the stars of our trip - New Zealand and the AdMach. NZ because she is home and the AdMach cause she didn't miss a beat, was so comfy, and when Clint applied liberal dashing of CRC between where the chassis meets the box, non squeaky!

I love treading softly on our beautiful land.


1 comment:

  1. Love the photos and I do miss the fishing.... Even if I was poor at it! :-)

    ReplyDelete